The Marshfield Heritage Museum is located in the lower level of the 2nd Street Community Center (211 E 2nd St). Access is available through the main entrance doors.
Tours and off-hour viewings of the current exhibit are available by calling Shirley Mook at 715-384-5867 or Mike Feirer at 715-305-0123.
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturdays 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Group tours are encouraged
2nd Street Community Center (Lower Level)
211 E 2nd St
Marshfield, WI 54449
The Mission Statement of the Historic Preservation Association is to encourage and facilitate the preservation of historic structures and sites, the history and stories of its people and culture.
It was the year 1988 when the Common Council determined that the City Hall, which was constructed in 1900-1901, should be demolished for a parking lot. The building was architecturally significant and historic, designed by famous Milwaukee architects Van Ryn and DeGelleke. This magnificent building with its clock tower, stood as sentinel for Downtown Marshfield.
Three women formed an organization to fight the demolition. “Citizen’s for City Hall” soon garnered support from business leader Vern Baltus and Dr. G. Stanley Custer. The community rallied. Meetings were held, school children were involved in coloring and essay contests and 2,600 people signed a petition to save City Hall. August 8, 1989, the Common Council met to reversed its decision with a vote to sell the building to a developer.
On August 9, 1989. “Citizens for City Hall” met to formally establish the Historic Preservation Association of Marshfield (HPA) knowing that there would be other historic structures to be saved. By-laws were written and tax exempt status obtained.
The museum would like to recognize the following individuals and businesses for their support of the museum.